It’s a bit of nepotism, but I am linking an article written by my brother in law because of its excellent summary of the Trans Pacific Partnership.
TPP Trade Pact Fails On So Many Levels gives a brief examination of the major problems with the TPP and then challenges citizens to oppose the Partnership based on these flaws. If you’ll allow a bit of artistic liberty, Mr. Larson perfectly describes the trade agreement’s role in The Financialization Revolution in just a few sentences:
- “Good for multinational corporations, not so good for transparency or democracy.”
- “Good for the 1 percent, not so good for American workers.”
- “Good for corporate profits, not so good for public health or informed consumers.”
- “Great for corporations, not so good for the environment, workers, or people who eat.”
- “Good for trade advocates and growing presidential power, not so good for the Congress or the Constitution.”
The TPP is written by the financial elite and specifically for the financial elite – a classic element of The Financialization Revolution. What’s more, its passage will complete The Financialization Revolution in my opinion, and hasten America’s path to third world status because its strips away many of the rights that define our democracy.
We must make our voices heard as Mr. Larson challenges. The future of our Republic hangs in the balance as it never has before. Tellingly, the White House Petition website has closed the petition to stop the TPP (at least as of 1030 hrs on 6 May, 2015) check it out here. A similar petition to release the complete text of the TPP is also closed. It looks like we have to contact our congressional members instead. You can reach your representative here, and your senator here.